Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Best Voting Experience Ever

I was not looking forward to casting my vote in the Potomac Primaries: Ginger Division. Without getting too political, I'm so disgusted by the choices available, on both sides of the aisle. I saw very little point in voting today, other than to exercise my duty as a citizen of the republic in which I live. However, today was the most wonderful voting experience I've ever had because at my precinct was the prettiest poll worker I have ever seen... my bride!
Adding to her resume of day jobs, today, for the awesome compensation of one hundred (100) bucks (dollars), Mary Beth spent 16 hours, starting at 5 a.m., at the local high school auditorium as an Officer of Elections. She had a button that said so. I think she needed it to prove her position simply because she's so young. All the other Election People looked like they were born in time to vote for Abraham Lincoln, whose birthday we celebrate today. When you're hanging around a polling location and you look like you were at least 24 years old at the time of the Gettysburg Address, it is obvious you are an Official Poll Worker.
I love "seasoned citizens", but I wish more young folks, especially those as good-looking as MB, would work the polls. I think voter turnout would skyrocket!

5 comments:

mrscrumley said...

Our polling place is similar. A young officer of elections and elderly folk who can barely see the register to point out where my name is.

I think part of the problem with the age gap is those who have office jobs don't take off to help. Or us stay at home types who have no where to put the little one from 5 am to after 8 p.m.

Cousin Alicia www.crumley.org

Still Singing said...

I was pleasantly surprised that my polling place had a huge mix of races and ages. Everyone from the oldsters to a teenager - and 3 or 4 in between. Because of the weather, it was just me and 3 other voters at 5:15 pm, but maybe I just missed the afternoon rush...

Josh the Pilot, you are the sweetest!

Red Pill Junkie said...

I agree with you Josh, but then don't you think that the polling place would end up looking like this? The female voters might start complaining :-)

Starnarcosis said...

Why, redpilljunkie, you may have hit on the way to increase the number of citizens who actually vote!

Josh The Pilot said...

Thanks, Kris!

RPJ, I prefer Germans, not Russians. Specifically, blonde, blue-eyed ones born in Cincinnati. :-)

Previous Tastings