Wednesday, February 25, 2004

"You're a little bit psychic, aren't you?"

Two different psychics have accused me of this, and I must admit that I kinda agree. For instance. Yesterday I woke up just somehow KNOWING that I would come into a feeling of immense, searing resentment as I drove to work, and... I felt very much like kicking the Florida Department of Transportation in its collective groin as I became $1.75 poorer when I passed through two toll plazas. Clearly I have The Gift.

I am, however, swept by legitimate premonitions from time to time. We INFP's, we are in tune with the world in a way that hireable people don't understand. I am also an empath--which Hallmark, at least, enjoys-- and thus this life of mine is led with either bursting joy or near-crazed fear, if not correctly solved quadratic equations.

Today was an INFP, kinda-psychic day. It is Ash Wednesday, and I have felt Jesus' pain weighing on me since I got out of bed. I've never felt this way on an Ash Wednesday before--these are Good Friday sensations-- and as I stepped out into the rain this morning in a grey top and quiet khakis, I felt leaden in a way I couldn't describe.

Then I realized: It's The Passion. Without seeing it myself, I can feel that movie changing people. I have sensed it all day long. I don't know if this film will indeed usher in a third Great Awakening, as some claim it will, but I do know that many, many lives are being touched and forever changed right now. I just know. When I came across written reflections of those who saw it today, their words all carried the same clear, luminous high note of a person who had been profoundly moved.

Of course, this did not stop me from falling into a snicker-fit at Mass as I watched a parishioner return from the ashes line with a black mark on his forehead in the exact shape of a shark. He totally looked like a walking Sea World ad. It was awesome.

Previous Tastings