Thursday, January 15, 2004

Birthday Karma Update

"As of 10:28 AM, today hasn't gone too badly. So far the day is going down in history as The Day Carol Moseley Braun Dropped Out Of the Presidential Race, so I am cautiously optimistic that the day actually might not suck donkey balls."
-younger, stupider me, 10:28 AM

This just in from the Typed Too Soon Department: I walked out of the office today actually thinking, "You know, that wasn't too bad. Sure, I've got cramps and I'm hacking up phlegm like... like a... mestruating, coughing really hard... person, but I've had worse. Really! It's been a nice birthday!"

Then, of course, I got to my car. And saw the flat tire.

AAA came. And told me I needed a very serious alignment.

I found a Goodyear. Where they told me that I needed TWO new tires.

And new breakpads.

And a re-alignment.

Immediately.

So I turned out of the shopping center, fretting over where the money for all this was coming from and how I was going to get off work and by the way my blood sugar was so low I was seriously contemplating gnawing off the rearview mirror.

Then the cop pulled me over.

Apparently you can't make a right on red back there.

"Not a good way to celebrate your birthday," he said. "Are you upset?" NO, I'm THRILLED. This was EXACTLY what I needed less than a year after a wreck and two speeding tickets. I totally tried not to do that terrible woman-thing of crying my way out of ticket, but I cried my way out of a ticket. Which was good.

But not as good as the phone call I got while waiting in the tire place, where my sister and brother in law asked me to be Taufling's godmother.

Best. Birthday. Ever.

Previous Tastings