Thursday, September 18, 2003

Believin' Stevens

Gary "Seriously, Do Not Anger Me" Stevens returned to the races last week, which flat-out amazes me (thanks to everyone who emailed me the news stories, shrieking). When he was thrown in August-- collapsed lung, broken vertebrae-- the doctors said he'd be out for a month. He was back in two weeks even though they had to insert a tube in his chest to reinflate his lung. Let's read that again: They had to insert a tube in his chest to reinflate his lung.

Now....

When I had my tonsils out in college, it took me a couple months to get off the DL, and the most strenuous thing I did was perhaps raise my hand once or twice a day. And this guy, at the age of forty, sits up on the emergency room table and says, "Bring me another horse!" Gaping chest wound, who cares! Reduces wind resistance down the stretch!

An astounding healer, motivation.

Previous Tastings