Saturday, August 23, 2003

I have spit the bit.

I sit before you having completely spit the bit. I went rollerblading again (two hours ahead of noon this time, thank you very much) First exercise in six days. Way to go! This plan to work out five days a week is going spectacularly! I could have stayed out longer, but came in when the batteries ran down on the Walkman, God's way of announcing "YOU ARE OVERDOING IT AGAIN, YOU STUPID, STUPID GIRL."

I have new blades; it was time. I didn't realize it was time until last week, when I discovered that the old ones had worked a gash into my left leg where the boot cuts into my calf. The wheels were completely worn down on the inside. I was taken aback; these were brand new skates.

Then I did the math. They were brand new when I was a freshman in college.... nine years ago. Nine.

When I was able to speak and move again, I went out and got new blades. They were an absolute joy to break in. The boots are tremedously stiff and one of the straps doesn't buckle properly-- I'm telling you, Target just doesn't provide quality skates for $19.95 these days. Plus it's one of those hideously semi-cloudy days out there, when it's not sunny enough for sunglasses but too glarey without them. So here's me, sweating and squinting, clapping my skates against the asphalt in galactically uneven strides.

I should've bypassed the sporting-goods section and bought some scotch instead.

No comments:

Previous Tastings