Sunday, August 24, 2003

Can Do

My grandfather and I watched the Travers Stakes together. He is dead, but he was there, because Pat Day won.

The horse I don't have particularly strong feelings for; it's Day I'm concerned with. Like most people of his generation, my grandfather followed horseracing quite closely, and he would always tell us, "When in doubt, take the horse under Pat Day."

The year he died, we did just that. My sister and dad had the opportunity to attend the Kentucky Derby in the GE box, where they put a wad of cash on the nose of Pat Day's mount. Back at River Downs in Cincinnati, I did the same, placing a racing bet for the first and only time in my entire life. (He--and the horse-- promptly lost. I know.... that was almost such a cool story.)

It was a record crowd at Saratoga today. It was also a happy pair here in Florida.

No comments:

Previous Tastings